Saturday, August 29, 2009

Bored kid... Help!!

Whats with children and "Mom! I am bored"?
Boredom is natural and according to me constructive. Spells of doing nothing for hours. Can help one develop patience, being introspective, even get more creative.
What with the 24 hour cartoon channels, On Demand and the internet, Boredom threshold has sure gone waaaay down.

The kid sets off for school 7:15, comes back 3:35. Has 2 of her favourite programs between 4 to 5. Arthur and Word girl. At 5, she puts off the TV, yells, "I AM BORED"...You JUST put off the TV kid! left thumb still on the TV remote power button....Bored?

And today morning, while I am surfing away, she is watching Spongebob Squarepants. She goes, "I am bored". I am like, "excuse me, i think you are watching Spongebob?" Yes! But its the commercial break!! And I am bored!!

Boo hoo!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

csm said...

she has to figure out what she likes.
reading writing, drawing, playing, dancing, music, gardening, etc.....
cut down the tv, especially 'favourite programs between 4 to 5'.

Vanessa said...

They say in her school- TV only on weekends. But I still let her watch for an hour for now. Esp word girl, it has helped her vocabulary immensely.

Yes, SHE has to figure it out.
Even boredom is a natural acceptable state of mind, not something to fight against. Thats what I want her to realise. And that is a painful process :)