Wednesday, February 07, 2007

passport mayhem

My husband had taken our passports with him to office last week, for photocopies i guess. Out of the blue i asked, why did you keep the passports in office for so long? He was shell-shocked. He was sure he had got them back and given them to me. I was equally sure he had not. A frenzy followed with him searching the whole wardrobe, a real sense of urgency rarely displayed by him. As he realised that i was calm and cool, he wondered aloud, "how could you sit there like that?".

Why should i be tensed? I am in India, for God's sake. In a foreign country, this sort of a thing would have been a disaster. But i am safe and sound in my own country. I don't have to give anyone any proof of my Indianness. Even if i loose my passport, worst thing is, i cannot travel abroad. No problem .....I am happy where i am...He just could not accept the reasoning. Difference of point of view i guess.

Anyways, a small plastic bag with our passports in it, was found later on the shoe-rack. It was fortunately spared handling by my little daughter. Was absolutely reachable for her 2 feet 2 inches. Lucky booklets i must say, a week of very risky stay on the shoe-rack. They ran the risk of being used as drawing books, decorated with the new Faber Castle crayons, or being made to fly right through the wide gap in the balcony-railings...possibilities are endless. If you are wondering why i did not mention paper-boats and aeroplanes, my daughter does not have the required expertise yet. But she is learning and learning fast....

If my husband happens to read this, he'll be shocked to know what i can do to our passports in my imagination. Not that i have anything against the poor little booklet, just that my imagination knows no bounds. Like for example, i love taking snaps from the train window (i know, the train is in motion, but the camera has a set running mode). I would often wonder, what if i loose my grip and the camera falls right out of the window. I can see the scenes clearly in my mind,(there's no dolby stereo surround sound....will upgrade). I can see the poor Cannon Powershot lying helplessly on the rail tracks, only to be picked up by some local trash collectors, or crushed by a group of Buffalloes......Now don't ask me what the buffalo is doing on a railway track...trying to commit suicide? Its imagination ...don't forget....(Even with the imagination running riot, i dare not to imagine my husband's reaction)....
Funny, each time i took a snap like that, this was the first thought to cross my mind. (Don't worry, I still have my camera!!).

I know, i am not getting anywhere near the camera after this confession. Goodbye photography...:-(

No comments: